Thursday, January 17, 2013

6 Week Ankle Update

Well, it's been 6 weeks since my trimalleolar fracture, and today I had a check up with the doc.

The x-ray showed that the alignment of everything is still perfect.  The medial fracture (the one on the right side of my ankle) is still visible, which means it's not totally healed yet.  He said that's normal - sometimes the joint fluid gets in there and inhibits the healing a bit.  And then the fracture line is still faintly visible on the fibula side, but it's mostly healed.  Anyway, he said that because the alignment is so good, he's okay with me starting to bear weight on it, even though the healing isn't quite done.  I'm to keep it in the fracture boot for the first couple of weeks while I do this, to make sure that the healing continues properly.

So at the moment, I'm able to put maybe 50-60% of my weight on it, which means crutches, still, for the time being.  And after having spent some time "practicing" today, my ankle is definitely tired.

I have quite a ways to go yet, but it feels really good to be able to actually do something to get better.  I'm hoping for rapid improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment